Saturday 14 July 2012

MIKE TINGLEY - THE ABSTRACT PRINCE




Decca 1968

01. A Real Fine Time
02. Begin The Sun
03. Connected To Nothing
04. Emotions And May
05. Monotony's Message
06. See The People
07. Abstract Prince
08. Of Sand
09. Of Soul And Deed
10. I Weep
11. It's Time To Leave Her
12. Crossroads


Californian Mike Tingley recorded and released his only L.P. in 1968. ‘The Abstract Prince’ is a very sixties fusion of folk and psychedelic pop enriched with Spectoresque strings and tight arrangements.

Still essentially unknown, this record is ripe for a reissue (Sundazed perhaps?)

On first listen, some listeners may find the songs a little light. The production is pretty and there is a whiff of teenage pop. However, repeated spins reveal lyrics of existential angst, social commentary and personal observations.

Here’s the artist himself :

“I have been asked to write a few lines for this LP. But where do I start? I think I am just now realising what has taken place. I will start by thanking to everyone who was involved in the making of this record. And there are so many that added so much to it. My producer, Tony Vos, whose guidance and supervision I couldn't have done without. My recording technician, Gerard Beckers, whose skill in a control room was consistently outstanding. The drummer, Cees Kranenburg and the bass player, Jan Hollesteller, who both demonstrated the only thing that only a good musician can...talent and plenty of it. And speaking of musicians, I really owe a special debt gratitude to Bert Paige, who did all the orchestra arrangements and to all the studio musicians participated in this LP. There is only one word to describe their contribution to this music...beautiful. There are so many other people directly or indirectly involved, that I could never write them all down on this jacket. But my heart felt thanks go out to each one of them just the same. I was also asked to explain each of my songs. I thought a lot about it and decided that it wasn't fair, in a way, to you the listener. Although, when I wrote each song I had a definite idea in my mind, these were only my impressions. I feel that if I were to explain each song to you, it wouldn't give you an honest chance to develop your own impressions. And this is what I think is one of the most important parts of any music: the capacity to be interpreted differently, depending on who the listener is. I would like to end by thanking you, the listener, for giving me this opportunity to express the many emotions and thoughts that are contained in each and every groove of this LP.”


I suspect record company fecklessness is behind the record having no success. Released only in Holland and confusion over how to market Mike Tingley ensured this record would be lost and forgotten.

Find it, dig it and let the sunshine in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.mediafire.com/?hz6cy1k4177lccz

Anonymous said...

Very very good ! love it ! Thanks a lot !